Here are some of the frequently asked questions that guests usually ask:
Maison Lairoux Holiday Homes are only a 15 minute drive from the long sandy beach at La Faute sur Mer. There are over 140km of beaches in the Vendée and there are lots within a 30 minute drive. You can also visit La Tranche sur Mer for water sports; La Terrière or Les Conches beaches for surfing & body boarding; Jard and St Vincent for exploring rockpools or Veillon Plage at Port Bourgenay for the dunes, lagoon and sea fishing.
2. Do I need a car?
A car is essential for a visit to Maison Lairoux. We are located in a small village with little public transport.
You can either bring your own car and take a ferry crossing to France, or you could fly and then hire a car from Nantes Airport or La Rochelle Airport
3. Are there shops and restaurants near to the house?
The closest shops are in Luçon – a 10 minute drive away. You will find several supermarkets, banks, cafés, restaurants, a weekly market and lots of other shops.
The closest bakery is a 5 minute drive away in Beugné L’Abbé – great for croissants, pain des patrons and fancy French Patisserie.
4. Do you allow pets?
We welcome well-behaved dogs. One or two are fine – if you have more, please ask before booking.
Our garden is mostly enclosed – there are large gates that can be closed if you have an escape artist kind of dog!
Please note that we have 3 cats, so your dogs must be sociable.
If you are travelling from the UK, remember that from 2021 you must have a new Pet Passport.
5. Are linen and towels provided?
Yes, we provide all bed linens and towels, but please bring your own pool and beach towels. Cot bedding is provided for younger children.
All beds have mattress and pillow protectors. We do not use feather pillows or duvets.
6. What is the check in time and check out time?
Check in time is from 17:00 and check out is by 10am.
Please let us know your approximate arrival time so that we can be there to greet you and show you around.
7. Can we have an early check in / late check out?
This is not usually possible from May to the end of September, as we usually have guests leaving and arriving on the same day, so need time to prepare the holiday homes.
Out of the high season, we can usually be more flexible if we do not have back to back guests.
8. Are the holiday cottages wheel chair accessible?
Unfortunately, neither cottage is wheelchair friendly, but L’Ecurie may be suitable for guests with limited mobility as it is mainly on one level. (Twin bedroom, lounge, kitchen, and shower room – no steps)
9. Is there parking at Maison Lairoux?
Yes, there is parking on the gravel courtyard for up to 5 cars. There is additional parking in the car park across the road behind the church.
10. Is there a WiFi Internet Connection?
Yes, we have a Wi-Fi network that covers both holiday cottages, their patio terraces, the pool area and lower garden. This network is secure and free of charge.
11. Are the properties suitable for children?
Yes, both holiday cottages at Maison Lairoux are very suitable for children of all ages.
For young children there is a cot, highchair, baby bath, stair gates, changing mat, baby monitor and lots of plastic cutlery & crockery.
For toddlers, there is a booster seat, potty, toilet step, and bedtime reading books.
For children of all ages there is the huge games room, heated swimming pool, and large garden.
12. Can we rent both properties together?
Yes, we often have guests who book both properties here at Maison Lairoux for a family celebration or to bring friends together.
The dining table in Le Vieux Café is large enough for guests at both houses to eat together.
13. Is there a surf school nearby?
You can learn to surf at La Tranche sur Mer - with all equipment provided and great teachers.
If you want to try to Télé-ski – The Atlantic Wake Park is the place to go – daily lessons are available for all abilities.
14. Is there a Tourism Tax in Lairoux?
There is currently no Tourist Tax to pay in Lairoux
15. Is there a cleaning charge at the end of the holiday?
We do not charge an extra fee for cleaning, but we do ask guests to leave the property in the same condition as you found it. Full instructions about what is expected on your last day are included in the Guest Information Book in the holiday home.
If the house is not left in a clean and tidy condition, we reserve the right to take a portion or all of your security deposit as payment for any extra cleaning needed.
16. If I fly, how can I reach Maison Lairoux?
We have two airports within around an hour of our holiday homes. Car hire is available at both Nantes Airport and La Rochelle Airport.
17. Is there a washing machine at the holiday cottage?
Yes, each holiday cottage has a washing machine and there is a clothes airer for each house, plus a washing line in the garden.
18. I am arriving on a Saturday afternoon, or Sunday. Will shops be open?
The local supermarkets close at either 7 or 8pm on Saturdays, and Super U and Intermarché in Luçon are both open on Sunday mornings.
If you are arriving late or on a Sunday afternoon, please let us know if you would like us to buy some shopping in for you. Payment for this will be due on arrival.
19. Is there a BBQ and outside seating?
Yes, there is a charcoal BBQ available for guests use at each property, along with a private terrace/patio with table and chairs.
20. What is the weather like in the Vendée?
The Vendée is known to have a micro-climate and has over 2500 hours of sunshine per year.
The summers are generally long and hot, with temperatures ranging from mid-20 to mid-30 degrees.
The warm weather usually starts around mid-April and goes on until the end of September.
Autumn is mild, and winter can be wet rather than cold. Early Spring can be good too – with crisp bright mornings and warm afternoons – but may be quite rainy too!
21. How do I pay for my holiday?
We accept credit cards, bank transfers and cheques as payment. A 30% deposit is required to secure your booking, with the remaining 70% plus £100 security deposit being paid 8 weeks prior to the start of your holiday.
Your security deposit will be returned within two weeks of the end of your holiday, once we have had time to inspect the property.
22. What do I need to bring with me?
We provide the basics to get you started: 2 x toilet rolls per WC, liquid soap, shower gel, hand cream, condiments, cooking oil, tea, coffee, sugar, Senseo coffee pads, tea towels, washing up sponges, 3 x dishwasher tabs, dustbin bags, cleaning products.
You will need to bring beach/pool towels, supplies for your holiday, sun tan cream etc..
23. Can I charge my electric car at the property?
Unfortunately we do not have a facility to charge electric cars, and for safety and insurance purposes, no charging of electric cars is allowed on the property. The nearest electric car chargers are in Luçon.
24. What Covid Precautions are in place at the holiday cottages?
We will do our usual thorough clean, plus…..
- The house will have been aired before your arrival.
- All bedding – including mattress and pillow protectors have been washed and replaced between visitors.
- All work surfaces, floors, tiles have been cleaned with a mild bleach solution, plus cleaning products.
- All door handles, light switches, banisters will have been wiped down with soap and water to remove any trace of virus.
- All bins will have been cleaned and lined with new bags.
- We have provided liquid soap next to all sinks, but we have had to remove all shower gel and hand cream for hygiene reasons.
- The swimming pool chemical levels are checked on a daily basis and the sun loungers are cleaned daily.